Thursday 19 June 2014

FRIDAY FEATURED BEARD - Rick Rubin (221)

Going to have to admit, this will be a little shorter than normal. I've managed to get out of work early, and I REALLY want to go home and start my holiday if I'm being truthfully honest, so here go...

This beard has shaped the face of so many different styles of music it is almost to good to be true. Everything from Rap, Heavy Metal, Folk. Chances are this man has had some say in it. He very rarely gets interviewed and very few bands get to try out his totally amazing recording studio in the beautiful state of California, Shangri-La. Before we move onto the beard in more detail, I do actually want to talk a little more about Shangri La. This recording studio really stood the test of time, it's a surpirsing minimal recording studio, with very little art work or fancy decor. Pretty much everything is white, but every artist that has stepped into that studio always seems to create a quality album, which I imagine this man has a lot to do with. Also the location, which is set right on the coast of LA. Check out this video, ignore Zane Lowe and his horrible drumming and just imagine being able to record some songs in there. Even if you're not into music technology, still check it out, it is an amazing place.




If you watched the video then of course you know that I'm talking about the genius, who is Rick Rubin. Rubin has produced albums such as: Black Sabbath, Slipknot, Kanye West, Jay Z, Weezer, Linkin Park, Jake Bugg, The Mars Volta, Limp Bizkit, Neil Diamond and Justin Timberlake, just to name a few. Just by listing them very names you can see the diversity Rubin works with. If we look at his beard in the first picture we see Rick has gone for a beard I like to call the "balls out" beard. No trimming, no maintance, grow beard and go! I respect any man that can grow a beard to such lengths and carry on about his business. I'm sure the odd person may have commented on his beard at times, but I'm sure he brushed off them very comments and went to sit in Bob Dylan's old tour bus which is sitting at his very studio all kitted out with the latest tech ready to record the next band or artist lining up to walk through the doors. He is a man of simple pleasures, but continues to wield the "balls out" beard to this day. Probably the biggest real beard I have reviewed. And honestly, I am making it a goal of mine to at least walk round that studio, if I actually got to use it, I think I would cry on the spot until I was told to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment